Get To Know Your Kids / Get To Know Yourself

Life is so often cyclical. I tend to believe, to hope, that is cyclical in an upward spiral. But it seems to me lately I've been carving out the same path under my feet over and over. Like a dog on leash, extended out, not realizing I've just gone over and over the same place in the ground. Until, I hit that same patch that finally stands out.

All this metaphor to say -- I feel like I keep relearning the same lessons. Like, I think I've got something down, and then I move away from it, and I forget.

Obvious reminder of the week: It's important to get to know your kids.

I think I somehow moved away from thinking of them as people. I forgot about how to relate to them as humans. I was getting annoyed at kids packing up during the last few minutes of class, and two days later at a PD my computer was shut down and packed up before they sent out the survey. I do those "bad behaviors" too. When I remember that, I can be more forgiving. When I can be more forgiving, I can be more understanding, and then we can build bridges and then we can learn.

Kids don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. 

Small impact move : Incorporate "get to know you" questions in each survey. What do you want to be when you grow up? What's something you're really proud of?

Let's focus on the good, and remember to be kind - "everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about."

I have my complaints about today and recently. But that's not what this post is about. I think things will be better if I find the good, look for the good.

My year 1 mantra? Keep coming back. Keep trying.

First blog post in awhile. It might be awhile till the next one too. But I do promise I'm still here, I'm still trying. And I will keep coming back.

Comments

Popular Posts